Thursday, May 27, 2010

Seminary Graduation and Cowboy Birthday Cake

Sean and Alec both graduated from Seminary last Sunday. They are wearing their new Missionary suits that Uncle Carroll and Aunt Christine got for them. Last Saturday was a birthday party for Larry Sherwood. He turned 90 years old. Kathleen asked me to make a cake. It was one of the most fun cakes I have done. I took a pattern from
Alec's hat to make the brim out of fondant. The top was cake I carved except for the ridges at the top. I used Twinkies there. The spurs are out of gum paste. I made a pattern from a pair of old spurs we had. Then the rope is a roll of fondant. I needed to make enough cake for 80 people so I made the bottom cake to look like a corral with barbed wire fence. It was really exciting as it came together and the family really liked it.














2 comments:

The Chambers said...

i don't even know what to say. The boys look AMAZING in their new mission suits. I'm so excited for their next step in life! Congrats to them on seminary graduation and tomorrow high school graduation! incredible they are grown up. The cake...you've outdone yourself AGAIN. they just keep getting better and better. WHEN you move here with us, we're going to open up a cake store and it's going to be glorious. can't wait!

Marybeth said...

Ellen the cake is amazing! You are so talented!! Your boys look so handsome.. hard to believe they are graduating.. time just goes by toooo fast!